The Ronald McDonald House of Ann Arbor provides two different “homes away from home” for families of children receiving medical treatment in the Ann Arbor area. Located within walking distance of the University of Michigan Medical Centers, the Ann Arbor House opened its doors in 1985 and serves over 600 families a year. The “Mott House” opened in December 2011 and provides a short-term respite for families of the most medically fragile patients. Families from throughout Michigan, across the nation, and from around the world make the Ronald McDonald House their “home away from home”.
The Ronald McDonald House Charities of Ann Arbor is an independent, non-profit organization. As such, we rely upon the time and efforts of volunteers who serve in a variety of capacities at both the Ronald McDonald House of Ann Arbor and the Ronald McDonald House at Mott. We have shift volunteers during the day and evening. They are assigned a three-hour shift every other week. These shifts occur daily during the hours of 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older
- Ability to deal with the public, staff and other volunteers in a helpful and supportive manner
- Understand and practice confidentiality
- Physically able to perform light housekeeping and office tasks
- Willing to share time, skills and talents
- Possess qualities of friendliness, dependability, compassion, and flexibility
- Neat and clean appearance
- Able to pass a background check
Greet new familiesProvide House orientation tours to new familiesLight cleaning and stocking of suppliesAssisting families at checkout Prep bedrooms for new familiesPerform office-related tasksAnswer the phone and/or assist visitorsReceive dropped off donationsAssist with special events, projects, and fundraising work
- Able to commit to at least a biweekly, three hour shift per month for at least one year or two consecutive semesters (for students)
- Provide coverage or adequate notice to Volunteer Coordinator, if unable to attend a scheduled shift
- Shifts daily: 9:00-12:00 p.m.; 12:00-3:00 p.m., 3:00-6:00 p.m.; 6:00-9:00 p.m.
- Initial interview and House tour with Volunteer Coordinator
- Read Volunteer Training Guide
- On-site training during first scheduled shift
- Continuous learning through on-the-job experience
If you are interested in volunteering, please print out the Volunteer Application below and return it to the Volunteer Coordinator, Ronald McDonald House, 1600 Washington Heights, Ann Arbor, MI 48104. You may also e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (734) 994-4919. If you have any questions about our volunteer program, please call us at (734) 994-4442 or via e-mail.
We look forward to hearing from you and having you join our volunteer staff!